THE BACK OF THE NAPKIN:
Solving problems and selling ideas with pictures
By Dan Roam, 2008
Dan Roam’s elegant book bears two hallmarks of a classic. Firstly, a simple idea: think and communicate visually. And second, a structure that gives practitioner a methodology to build around the concept.
This structure takes the form of a 5 x 6 matrix which pitches a visual thinking checklist SQVID against the more common 4W’s and 2H (how and how much).
All in all, we found the 5 x 6 matrix quite engrossing but ultimately overstructured. Best to just enjoy the simple exhortation to think visually and numerous well illustrated case studies.
- A whole new way of looking at business
- The four steps of Visual Thinking
- The six ways of seeing
- SQVID. A practical lesson in applied imagination
- Showing and the Visual Thinking MBA
- Show-and-tell in Business
- Drawing conclusions
GroomTalent.com recommends this book for:
- A simple idea of visual thinking well explained and packaged
- The SQVID- 4W2H grid